Monday, June 19, 2006

The Dark Side of Heaven

Take away 70 vestal virgins and would there have been a 9/11? Take away the threat of hellfire and brimstone, and would we have a religious right or a Catholic Church?

I know, I know – there are those who would say that religious embrace comes from a deep-seated need to be connected to an Almighty, or as a response to the love of God, or as a means to quell misdirected passions. But take away the reward of heaven and how committed would any of us be to a God? Religious institutions know about this deepest yearning of the human psyche – to live forever. Religious institutions also have the ticket – we just have to buy it. It’s always been for sale.

Human imagination is a wonderful and a terrible thing all at once. Consciousness gives rise to all sorts of “possibilities.” We stake our beliefs on the desires we covet, not necessarily the hopes that can be achieved. Living forever is one of those desires - even if it is a notion that is contradicted by every nuance of experience. It is a hope for which we are literally willing to sell our souls. And, what’s the problem with that, you say?

9/11 may have answered that question for some.

For the rest, let me put it this way - heaven, no matter how configured, has a dark side. It is one of those squishy propositions that finds residence in temples, churches, and mosques – but can find no certain definition. As such, it has become a powerful plaything of manipulators and tyrants, as much as a promise offered by the well meaning. Describe this wonderful reward in the terms you choose – then pattern the behavior required for its attainment. Religion empowers itself by so doing, and sends its missionaries to proclaim the gospel of eternal life – and eternal death. It, they claim, is up to you to make the choice. Really? That’s a pretty big hammer, if you ask me.

The cosmos is a big (very big) and strange place. Maybe tucked away in some far away galaxy there is a spot certain called “heaven.” Maybe as our last breath oozes from our lungs and consciousness gives way, we are magically transported to that place. Maybe. For sure, the flesh, bones, sinew, tissue, and neurons that define who we are in time and space, will not make that trip. The atoms that make us up would be rudely treated by any foray off this planet – and not likely reassembled somewhere habitable. So, what of us survives to “live” in this “other” dimension? Uh, dunno. Maybe someone else does, but I can’t conjure it – religious dogma notwithstanding. And, sorry, I can’t just “accept it by faith.” My faith takes me somewhere else.

My faith takes me to a grave where my body will fertilize new and different life. My faith takes me to an end point from which I will never return – except in the memories of others. My faith takes me to a personal demise – even as my genetic material travels an infinite journey of permutation through progeny. “That’s it,” you say. No life everlasting, no heaven. Just death? Where’s the hope? How depressing.

Actually, not. As I fall into alignment with every other thing that has ever existed – organic or inorganic – and then succumbed, it humbles me and makes present moments even more profound. As I consider killing or judging others in the name of God for the sake of eternal reward, a heaven-less eternity gives me pause.

If my ethic is not based on eternity, how should I behave? It seems to me that demons consume the evil in time. Eternity isn’t relevant. Does history treat evildoers well? Do evil ones find solace in their deeds? Does the threat of eternal damnation inhibit those who delight in the infliction of pain and suffering? In contrast, even without the promise of eternal bliss, do the good not benefit from their goodness? Is their goodness not sufficient in and of itself? Are we not more in concert with our Creator when we ask for nothing more than what we have been given in time and space? When greed or desire for more is quashed, are we not made free?

Lots of questions, here – here’s one more: are we willing to lay on the altar the proposition of heaven if it brings to us a world in which we love one another as much as we love our dogma?

1 Comments:

Blogger Don Doan said...

Fred, there is clearly mystery – maybe better said, “stuff that we haven’t figured out, yet” – about existence. Maybe consciousness will transcend our stay on earth. And, of course, it does feel better than to contemplate nothingness. You wear your existentialism well – and I think it serves you well. If that’s what it comes down to: “how it makes me feel,” you’ve got lots of company. Science isn’t much help here, just as it also has trouble validating the Big Bang, or evolution, for that matter. It stumbles drunkenly when “meaning” is discussed.

My thesis is that religious doctrine is equally bereft of insight. Even if holy books are viewed strictly in metaphoric terms – the realities behind the metaphors are not transparent. At least, not to me. The reality is that we’ve gotten good at killing those who do not share our visions of eternity. Thus, my view that heaven has a dark side. In the name of God (use Islamic, Judaic, or Christian descriptors, here – it doesn’t matter) too much blood has been shed.

I do believe that there are morally superior philosophies. I think American soldiers behave with more civility than, say Islamic jihadists. I think 21st Century Islam is fundamentally intolerant. There is a substantial population on this planet that lives – not with just blinders on – but with barely a peephole to peer through.

Most Christians would say, “Come over to our side.” Our view of reality is based on loving one another. And, oh, by the way, should you choose to not join us, your soul will fry for eternity.” The Bible tells me so. The world is armed, not just with explosive devices but also with explosive ideas. Not the least of which is that it is possible to enforce our morally superior philosophy with guns and bombs.

Thus, my willingness to say for pragmatic reasons (rightly or wrongly) heaven ain’t out there. Existence is a wonder, but our time is limited. We get no second chances. This is it. Be grateful and do good. If you give up your life for Jesus, or for a bevy of virgins – you’re just dead.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home